Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Coming to Terms and the Spain/Germany Match

Sitting in a bar with several pilgrims and several more Spaniards watching Spain play Germany in the World Cup semifinals. I don´t really care who wins, but, admittedly, it would be cool for Spain to win while I´m here. I´m just imagining the celebration, really. Although, I´ll most likely be asleep for it tonight. Hopefully I´ll catch some of it tomorrow. . .or if Spain goes on to win the whole thing.
Ate a rather delicious dinner with all the pilgrims in the albergue tonight. I´m staying in a church, and cost is by donation, and they cook dinner for everyone! We had a salad type thing (a little lettuce, many tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, green peppers and white beans), some pasta al dente with zucchini, and watermelon for dessert. Of course, there was wine and bread. Staples.
Walked with Rob from Georgia (state in US, not European country) today. He´s probably in his mid fifties, has two sons, and is very sweet. He´s doing this for many reasons which we bonded over a little, but he´s a little pushy with his views on religion. Despite feeling slightly preached to today, he helped immensly to pass the time.

Throw out all your expectations concerning where I will be on a certain day. It´s what I´ve had to do. I´m in Grañon tonight, which is where I should have been yesterday, and I´m surprisingly okay with it. I´ve learned that distance doesn´t dictate lessons learned, struggles won, changes made. I will still spend 27 days figuring out who I am, who I want to be, what I want and how to get it. This can be a meaningful experience regardless of if I walk the entire distance. I would even argue that it will become even more meaningful if I listen to what my body is telling me and stop when necessary - it will give me a chance to love my surroundings and live in the moment rather than being conscious only of pain. There is no sense in that.
I think I am becoming more comfortable with my limitations. If I accept them for what they are, I can move on to aspects that are perhaps more important, hold more weight, than how far I can walk each day with an extra 12 kg on my back. Ultimately, I don´t think pushing myself toward 40km a day will have a positive impact on my life. It is still a struggle, and I still have to push myself, to complete 25km/day.
That should be enough for me, and I think, perhaps more slowly than I would prefer, that it is becoming my truth.

I miss and love you all. :)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful outlook! :) You are amazing.
    I'm a bit jealous of the yummy food. I received something pretty amazing in the mail today! Thank you! Thank you! The postcard made me want to be there with you. As for the other... it's perfect. Thank you for thinking of me during this time meant for you. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I was glad to read your blog tonighy and to see you made some good decisions! you will be alright and will enjoy the rest of your trip. It sounds as if you are having good food. I know you don't like tomatoes but the rest don't sound bad. Enjoy yourself and I think of you often. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete