Saturday, July 31, 2010

Some Pitfalls and Heartache

Sorry, but this one's going to be kind of a downer. For a while, everything seemed to be going wrong. Nothing life-or-death, mind you, but still. . .First someone stole my trekking poles from outside the baggage office in Santiago. They weren't letting anyone put their poles inside their bags or attach them to the side, so everyone was leaving them leaned against the wall. Mine were safe the first day, but the second day I left them they were gone when I went back. The biggest issue is that it wasn't just pilgrims that use that office, but tourists of all kinds. And those puppies are worth about $120. So I was bummed about that. At least I made it all the way through the Camino before they were taken! Then I lost my travel silverware. They were awesome! They all fit inside each other, and were great because they were actually metal. Most people had a little plastic spork thingie that had a little knifeish end, but if your baguette got the slightest bit hard, it wouldn't cut. So mine saved the day many times over. Lastly, I found this really pretty ring in Santiago that I bought, and I'm pretty sure I promptly threw it away in Madrid. I think it was in a bag that I tossed. I even looked in there before throwing it out!
Madrid left a lot to be desired. It felt like a waste of a few days. I do have to give it some credit, though. The city map was amazing, and the metro was the best I've ever been on. Plus, I might have been harder on it than it truly deserved, because after the Camino I felt a little melancholic, a little without purpose, perhaps. There also seemed to be a loss of community. So maybe it just got the brunt of my mood. But I still don't think I'll be sad if I never go back.
Lastly, I went up to Resurrection Fest - something I had been looking forward to for 5 months! Seriously, if I were having a bad day I'd just think about the fact that I'd get to see Heaven Shall Burn live. I'd imagine how incredible they'd be on stage, and all would be well. This earns a *double sigh* - they don't play until tonight, and I'm in Barcelona tonight! I didn´t get to see them!!! :*( My heart sank when I figured that out, leaving a rock in the pit of my stomach. I still get sad thinking about it. So I've decided that if they ever come back to the States, I'm going to see them come hell or high water. Harumph!
Barcelona is pretty nice, but honestly I think I'm ready to leave. Actually, I'm just ready for some stability, a real home, somewhere where all my things have a place. But I'm definitely not ready to go back to DC. I don't feel like I ever want to go back there. And I haven't missed work for one minute the entire time I've been here. I've actually kinda been hoping I would these past few days, but it just hasn't happened. Sorry, Amy. :(
I can't believe it's been 6 weeks abroad already!! It seems incredible that the time passed as quickly as it did. There were times in the beginning when I wasn't sure I would ever be going home - it just sounded like such a long time. But I'll be on US soil late Monday night!

I miss all your faces. Can't wait to see you all. Love you.

2 comments:

  1. Remember, don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy Barcelona, and be sure to relax on the beach! Can't wait to see you on Monday. Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need some "motherly advice". If that doesn't make you want to go back to DC I'm not sure what will! HA. See you soon sweetie. Love you

    ReplyDelete