Friday, July 2, 2010

I donçt know how to work this silly keyboard

So symbols will be off. Youçll have to forgive - Içm too tired to try to figure it out.
Sorry about not posting yesterday - there was no functioning computer at the albergue yesterday.
I didnçt end up looking at the sites of Pamplona. I was walking with James, excited at the fact that having someone to walk and talk with took my mind off the pain for an hour or so, and realized once we were out of the city that we had passed through it, and that I hadn´t seen the Plaza del Toros or anything. I debated for about 15 seconds on going back, then decided that it just wasn´t in me. Maybe one day I´ll be able to make it back there as a true tourist.
Here´s the journal entry from last night:
7=1 6:50pm Zariquiegui
I kept calling this town Zaricooeygooey, but apparently it´s There ee gwee. Huh.
Today I really truly didn´t know if I was going to make it here. The sun was SO fíng hot, there was pretty much no shade, and I felt sick to my stomach. It took a little over 2 hours to go the 6.2km from Cizur Menor. I finally got here, and after wandering the town to find the albergue, walk in to find the manager asleep. I mean ASLEEP. She doesn´t speak a word of English, and she seems to think the best way to get me to understand her is to speak very quickly and use many words. And it seemed like she just wanted to talk, not like she was telling me something important like where the beds or showers were, or how much it cost to stay there, or if dinner would be served. All I wanted to do was find a bed to get off my feet. The left one now has a blister because I didnçt change out of my wet socks fast enough yesterday. Itçs just on my little toe, but there are periods of pain.
I think there are 7 of us here. Not a popular stopping point, apparently. I thought I was the only English speaker, but I just saw Pierre from Jersey. Met him last night. Not sure about him.
Içm sunburned as hell, and sore from my knees down. You have NO idea how tempting a bus was today.


Today I stopped in Puenta la Reina for a mini siesta. I laid down for an hour in the shade of some trees in a park by the church. The sparrows were diving and climbing the air currents surrounding the church tower like crazy. I feel like it was something out of a movie.
Last night and earlier today I was feeling very jaded. Couldnçt believe I was getting up to torture myself all over again. And I seem to be getting tired earlier and earlier every day. I walked with Aishling for the first 2 hours, which helped a lot. The next hour felt like hell, which was why I stopped for a bit. Some other pilgrims had paused there for a nap as well, so I joined them. Took off my socks and shoes, pulled out my little rollup mattress thingie, and took a nap. I felt much better afterward, both emotionally and physically. Felt like it would be possible to finish the day, another 12 km.
I had to take another 40 minute break just outside of Cirauqui, which was the town just before this. 5.7km to go. Again, I felt much better, but it passed after about 1.5 km. So the last 4 felt like an eternity.
I think I may have to cut tomorrow short. Içm honestly not sure Içve got 30km in me tomorrow.
I am a slave to my feet and the sun.

5 comments:

  1. You certainly have the internal fortitude to carry on. Isn't that part of why you wanted to do this - to find out what you had in you. If you need to stop earlier, then by all means do so.

    It was so good to talk to you today. Keep your spirits up and take some time to enjoy the journey. Remember the sun screen, vaseline for the feet and dry socks. Know that when you get home we will all be very excited to see you. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this. You are a strong woman and you need to believe. I do. Warm here today 88 and supposed to be 92 tomorrow. I think of you everyday and love your stories. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good person. You are doing good for the fact you got sunburn, your feet hurt and your tired.Sara, if you have to rest more often do it! Be sure you eat. Take care and enjoy your notes. Love,Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara!!!!! I finally found your blog! Happy 4th of July! I miss you like crazy. You are an amazing and strong person. I loved reading through all of your posts. I will be eagerly checking daily, and I think about you constantly! I know that this is hard, but we all knew it would be. There's a reason I'm not out there! haha. You can do this and know we all support you! I can't wait to hear your stories and see all of your pictures.
    On a different and weird note... you're probably just setting out for the day, as it is 12:40 am in Columbus. Wow. Love you girl! Take care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the encouragement - it all definitely helps. i love you guys!

    ReplyDelete