Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The going gets better, and then tough again

It´s cliche, but it really has been a roller coaster these past few days.
Saturday I stopped short, going 19km, because my feet simply were not allowing me to continue. Then Sunday and Monday I was able to go 33 and 30km, respectively, which was great. Sunday actually felt pretty good most of the time, and I seemed to recover quickly. Yesterday was horrible, probably my worst day so far. I was doing alright, walking with a new group, but we were taking it very slowly. We had gone about 22km by about 3:00, and stopped at a bar with a patio to take a break, where we could take our shoes off and the guys could get several big beers. At 3:45 I was still debating on whether to continue to the next town, but they were convinced (due to their documentation) that the town was only 4km away. My book said 7.6. I felt like I could manage 4, I wasn´t so sure about more than that. They convinced me to come along, and it turns out my book was right. I was about to have a nervous breakdown by the time we reached the albergue, like if anyone asked me how I was doing I would simply start bawling. I was in extreme pain the rest of that night, even after taking 4 Aleve and rubbing some rejuvenating cream on my feet. I woke up today with feet that were still very sore, so I only came 15km. I had started to catch up to where I wanted to be, but today I just couldn´t hack it. I´m hoping the break will allow for better days ahead.
I´ve nearly resigned myself to taking a bus at some point to make up for lost distance, but it brings several nagging questions that don´t really have answers. Why do this to myself, put myself in so much pain, every day for nearly a full month, if I´m just going to take a bus to finish it? What´s the point of all this, then? Everyone keeps telling me that this is going to be a life-changing experience, which is what I´ve been looking for, but what if it isn´t? And what if it´s not because I took a bus? Will I feel like it´s something I didn´t do right, didn´t complete, if I don´t walk the entire distance? I´m afraid I will. Or maybe I´m already changing.
It´s hard for me to see beauty surrounding me when I hurt as much as I often do. People around me will be taking pictures of a landscape that just doesn´t excite me, or say comments ("what a wonderful life!") that I just can´t get behind at the moment. Do they not hurt as much as I do? Are they better at finding and appreciating good things around them? Are they simply better people?
When I finally get to an albergue and they have an open bed for me, I am more thankful than at any other point in my life. Maybe there´s some beauty in that. . .

Some facts about gravel:
Gravel is the bane of my existance.
Gravel makes me want to cry.
Gravel is evil.

The pilgrim menus have been great, with two courses and dessert (does that then make it 3 courses?), bread, wine and water. The most I´ve paid for a pilgrim dinner is 11 €, most of them running 8-9 €. I guess that´s one good thing about living as a pilgrim - it´s pretty inexpensive, and you still eat well! :)


I thought of all of you on the 4th, wondering what your plans were for that day, figuring you´d be going to cookouts and barbeques, playing some sort of outdoor game like bocce, and watching the fireworks. I hope it was great! I tried explaining it a little to some of the people I´d met that day, and they seemed to appreciate all of it except for the tendency to wear red, white & blue. They were a little befuddled on that point.

I´m off to find a small snack before dinner. It´s only 4, and dinner isn´t until 7 or 8, depending on the place.

4 comments:

  1. Who would have thought gravel would be the devil on this trip? Does it get in your shoes? Cause that would be the worst thing ever! Took a few pics of the fireworks I'll e-mail you once your back so it won't be like you missed anything. As far as the bus, either way I'd be proud you did the trip. That decision is soley yours.

    HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma, Well Sara be pround, even if you take a bus. Don't let your feet get worse.I admire your will to keep on going. We had a nice cook-out at Ricks and Carolyn's. All so good. Caan't wait tii you get home. I'm terrible aren't I. Thanks for the nice card. Your so thoughtful. You got to take care of yourself. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see your post today. I'm glad to you took some extra time today. Listen to you body (within reason since I know none of this is natural!). You are probably "changing" without realizing it. And honestly Sara, I think you appreciate most things in life much more than others in this world do. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm proud of you always... before this trip... on this trip... and after! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you on the 4th also. Did you get my text? The DC area has been having record high temperatures - over 100 - so you would not have been able to escape those hot days. To bus or not to bus, that is the question. You are so much more than a silly bus ride. Who do you know that could have walked over 100 miles in 7 days over mountains, down mountains, with extreme high temperatures & through evil gravel? No one I know except you. For those that You feel would think the trip was worthless because you took a bus to catch up - not that anyone would - I say cut them from your life because they will only bring you down no matter what you do. You really have been noticing your surroundings. Remember Slugger & his friends, Frederico and the giant prehistoric birds with the wingspan that could get up to 18 feet. Landscape pictures never are as good as the real thing (unless you are a professional). So just drink in the beauty and save the memory card for the people you meet and the critters that cross your path. I hope you took a picture of that whole fish the first night. Better yet, I want one of your face when they put it in front of you. Don't forget to take snapshots of the Heavy Metal "woodstock". HA HA HA. Love you and miss you. I'll treat you to a pedicure when you get home. Maybe even the one in DC where the little fishes eat the dead skin. Eeewwww. Stay safe and listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete