Saturday, July 10, 2010

Only 11 Minutes Left On This Computer

I´m trying to conserve my cash, as I´m running a little low and there won´t be an ATM until Burgos tomorrow.
Made it to San Juan de Ortega!! 24km and some change - woohoo! :) I put on those blister plasters, called Compeed, and they were miracle workers. I still felt the blister for sure, but I was no longer limping, I was placing my foot straight instead of out, I resembled a normal human being.
It was a hard day today, though. Just after km 8 I was thinking ¨Today is a good day!¨ I was feeling good, I was happy, and I spotted a really cool-looking lizard on the road. At first I thought he was one of the greenish-brown lizards that you see all over here, kind of like the ones that run rampant in Florida. But this guy was black with bright green spots. And he held still for a body shot and a closeup! I thanked him before moving on. :) Shortly thereafter, however, the climb started, and it got really stinkin´hot. If there had been a town at about km 16, the day would have been just about perfect. As it was, there was nothing after the first 12, so the last 12 were climbing mountains and in the sun with no good stopping points.
Walked most of the way with a guy from Germany. Not sure what his name is - it´s one of those names that I could have him say about a million times, and I still wouldn´t get it. It´s definitely not Otto, that much I know. We´re smelly as a rule, pilgrims are, but he was a little smellier than most. It was hard to walk next to him after about 10 this morning. At first I thought it might be me, but I doubled up on the deodorant and triple-checked and it wasn´t me after all.
Garlic soup at the albergue tonight. Traditional dish of the area, apparently. Slightly intrigued. . .
My skin´s bubbling. It´s on my arms. I think I´m trying to sweat, and for whatever reason my skin is blocking it. It goes away when I rest for a bit.

Okay, out of time. Adios!

2 comments:

  1. I like the name Otto. I think every German you meet should be named Otto. Just them him/her that. Would they really know???? Glad you got a picture of the lizard. Can't wait to see it. Loved talking to you today. You sounded wonderful, happy & content. (Is that the same?) Have a great day tomorrow and rest those toes. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Sara - I found the Compeed technology in the new Band-Aid Brand Blister packs and for only $4.99. I was going to buy the original Compeed Blister plasters off the internet until I saw that it was going to cost me over $47 for shipping. It shipped from France. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete